Otis, Jr., George
"George Otis Jr. is the founder and president of The Sentinel Group, a Christian research and information agency. He has traveled to more than 100 countries of the world and served as Senior Associate for the Restricted-Access World with the Lausanne committee for World Evangelism. Presently he co-coordinates the United Prayer Track with Dr. C. Peter Wagner for the AD 2000 And Beyond Movement. He is a frequent speaker at churches, schools, and conferences."
Summarized from the ywampublishing.com entry on "Meet Our Authors – George Otis Jr.;" © Copyright 2003-2008 YWAM Publishing
"Graham Power is affiliated with George Otis Jr of The Sentinel Group who is associated with C. Peter Wagner (Head of Global Harvest Ministries and the New Apostolic Reformation NAR). In fact George Otis Jr directed the Spiritual Mapping Division of the United Prayer Track of the AD 2000 and Beyond Movement which is part of C. Peter Wagner's ministry. The Sentinel Group also partners with CitiReach International, the World Prayer Centre, the U.S. Spiritual Warfare Network and the Wagner Leadership Institute."
Summarized from the discerningtheworld.com entry on "The Transformation of Africa" by Graham Power & Angus Buchan (June 2008); © Copyright Discerning the World (2008, 2009, 2010)
"....World-wide propagation of spiritual mapping
The following major events during the past twelve years are the driving force behind the rapid spreading of spiritual mapping all over the world. Otis played a key role in the process: .....
• ".....In 1990, George Otis coined the term "spiritual mapping". In 1991, he published his book The Last of the Giants in which he further expounds the concept. ....
• "..... Also in 1993, the Sentinel Group of Otis conducted the first N. American Consultation on spiritual mapping in Washington. .....
• "..... In 1997, Peter Wagner's Breaking Strongholds in Your City was published, and also The Twilight Labyrinth by George Otis. In the latter, insight into the spiritual darkness in cities is given, as well as methods to map and confront the powers of darkness.
• "In 1998, the spiritual mapping repository at the Observatory opened at the World Prayer Centre in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Also in 1998, the Sentinel Group initiated the Ancient Pathways project in Lynnwood, Washington. .....
• "..... In 2000, new spiritual warfare practices were introduced in association with spiritual mapping. The most significant of these, and also the most controversial, was the activation of the gift of prophecy and the role of prophets and apostles. Prophecy enables the church to see beyond data collections and demographics. Prophets hear the secrets of the Lord and
declare His timing while apostles are sent out to mobilise the church. ....."
Summarized from the herescope.blogspot.com article "George Otis, Transformation & Spiritual Mapping;" Discernment Research Group (2006 February 14)
".... There is something drastically wrong with the theology of George Otis, especially with reference to his view on Christ's work of atonement. In lectures given to YWAM in Tacoma on Moral Government Theology, he made the following statements in this regard:
• "God has positionally sanctified you and that you're standing in Christ is something that is different from your actual state... Christ has not redeemed us by giving His life as a ransom for our sins in order that He might release us. If we accept the premise that Jesus literally purchased... our salvation with his blood... and He paid the Father... then this approach, first of all portrays God the Father as being vindictive and blood-thirsty and totally incompatible with biblical forgiveness."
• "Forgiveness... is the relaxation of a legitimate claim... it would be impossible for God to have, as one hymn put it, "paid the debt and forgave me all my sins."
• "The essence of Christ's Atonement existed in His obedience to the moral law on behalf of sinners. Christ obeyed during his life the moral law for us and that's really the essence of the Atonement."
• "Christ has not redeemed us by giving His life as a ransom for our sins in order that He might release us. God never kept man captive in sin. The truth is Christ paid no man's debt."
• "If we accept the premise that Jesus literally purchased our salvation with His blood... and He paid the Father... then this approach portrays God the Father as being vindictive and blood-thirsty and totally incompatible with biblical forgiveness. It also presents another grave difficulty. If Jesus literally paid for our sins with His blood, and paid a debt that is no longer a debt, and He died for the sins of the whole world, then we [and the theological world] can only come to one conclusion, namely Universalism, which means that everybody will be saved."
• "The power of the cross, today, does not lie in some vague, abstract, ethereal cosmic transaction but rather in the literal subduing of the human heart. Let's reverse things and let's tell the Lord Jesus that when He comes to us, when He comes to his own, that we will receive Him, that we will take Him down off that cross."
"It is quite evident that George Otis repeatedly, totally and emphatically renounced the basic elements of the doctrine of salvation in Jesus Christ, namely Christ's substitutionary death on the Cross for the remittance of our sins. In books that he wrote since the lectures were given, these fallacies are reconfirmed.
"Sin, to him, is to be in demonic bondage or deception without reference to the effect of an inherent sinful nature. As solution to this spiritual bondage and deception, demons and their strongholds in a certain area must be identified, confronted in spiritual warfare, and dispelled from the area. As a result, people will seek the Lord and a great revival will occur. ....."
Summarized from the bibleguidance.co.za entry "Otis, Wagner and the Transformations Revival;" by Prof. J. S. Malan (University of the North, South Africa) and Ms. Louisa Coetzee (Cape Town, South Africa)